Handmade smiles for you!

Thursday 31 October 2013

Knitting Pattern for Ruffle Baby Vest


One of my friends has a baby girl now, I wanted to make something for her and while searching on Raverly I saw a baby vest project. It is not in English, there is an English translation but I really dont know what they try to say. Google translator translate better than that website. I tried to guess how it could be knitted and used numbers on the website translation. Here is the pattern for the ruffle baby vest.



Needle : 4.00mm circular needle
Yarn : Double knitting baby yarn
Size : 6-12 months
Gauge : 20 stockinette stitch : 10cm 

st: stitch
k: knit
p: purl
yo: yarn over
k2tog: knit 2 stitches together
RS: right side
WS: wrong side
ktbl : knit through the back loop


  • Cast on 68 stitches.
  • Knit in garter stitch for 4 rows. (knit on both right and wrong sides)
  • k6, yo, (k2, yo)* Repeat until you have 6 st left. We will make button hole now on this row. k2,yo,k2tog,k2
  • (WS) k6, ktbl, (p2, ktbl)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (RS) k6, p1, (k2, p1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (WS) k7, (p2, k1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (RS) k6, p1, (k2, p1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (WS) k7, (p2, k1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (RS) k6, p1, (k2, p1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (WS) knit to the end
  • (RS) knit to the end. 
  • work in garter stitch for another 3 rows. 
  • (RS) k6, yo, (k2, yo)* Repeat until you have 6 st left, k6 (I dont know why but I had 7 st instead of 6, I knitted 2 st together and knit the rest 5 to make it 6 st)
  • (WS) k6, ktbl, (p2, ktbl)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (RS) k6, p1, (k2, p1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (WS) k7, (p2, k1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (RS) k6, p1, (k2, p1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (WS) k7, (p2, k1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (RS) k6, p1, (k2, p1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k2,yo,k2tog,k3
  • (WS) knit to the end
  • (RS) knit to the end. 
  • work in garter stitch for another 3 rows. 
  • (RS) k6, yo, (k2, yo)* Repeat until you have 6 st left, k6 (Again I had 7 st instead of 6, I knitted 2 st together and knit the rest 5 to make it 6 st)
  • (WS) k6, ktbl, (p2, ktbl)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (RS) k6, p1, (k2, p1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (WS) k7, (p2, k1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (RS) k6, p1, (k2, p1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (WS) k7, (p2, k1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k6
  • (RS) k6, p1, (k2, p1)* Repeat * until you have 6 st left, k2,yo,k2tog,k2
  • (WS) knit to the end
  • (RS) knit to the end. 
  • work in garter stitch for another 3 rows. 
  • (RS) we will start knitting the ruffles now. k6, put the first 6st on stitch holder(or safety pin), p2, (yo, k1, p4)* Repeat * to the end until you have 9 st left, yo, k1, p2. put the last 6st on stitch holder.
  • (WS) knit on knit, purl on purls and yarnovers
  • (RS) p2, (yo, k2, p4)* Repeat * to the end until you have 4st, yo, k2, p2
  • (WS) knit on knits, purl on purls and yarnovers
  • (RS) p2, (yo,k3, p4)* Repeat * to the end until you have 5st, yo, k3, p2
  • (WS) knit on knits, purl on purls and yarnovers
  • (RS) p2, (yo, k4, p4)* Repeat * to the end until you have 6st, yo, k4, p2
  • (WS) knit on knits, purl on purls and yarnovers
  • Cast off the ruffles.
  • Right side facing to you, pass the 6 st from stitch holder to your needle, pick up and knit 26 st from the purl stitches on the wrong side, under the ruffles. (You will have 32 st for left front, cast on 5 st for under arm, skip 40 garter stitches for arm, pick up and knit 61st for back, cast on 5 st for underarm, skip 40 garter st for arm, pick up and knit 26 st for right front. Pass 6 st from stitch holder to your left needle, we will make the third button hole. k2, yo, k2tog, k2
  • (WS) k6, purl until you have 6st left, k6
  • Continue knitting in stockinette stitch, don't forget to knit the front bands in garter stitch.
  • when your piece measures 24-25 cm from the beginning(you can make longer or shorter), make the ruffles same as before or you can knit in garter stitch for 6 rows and cast off. (I used a little from the second yarn ball for the ruffles)
  • sew buttons.

53 comments:

  1. absolutely gorgeous, thank you for the pattern got to try this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. What brand and color is used for the pictured vest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The brand was Nako, but I dont know the color code, it was from my mum`s stash and the paper wasnt on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can check some baby yarns here : http://myfavourist.com/baby-wool

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you give me an idea how much yarn is needed? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another question...was self striping yarn used or is that 3 different skein Colors...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used a self striping baby yarn for the vest. I used approx 120 gr I think. One ball of the yarn was finished and I used a few from the second ball for the ruffles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much for the info. You have been very helpful. Someone asked me to make one as close to this as I can. Not easy from the US and yarn choices available without costing an arm and a leg thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, it is almost same in the UK too. Good yarn is really expensive. You can try myfavourist.com or http://www.yarn-paradise.com/ . They are cheaper options I know so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you explain what knit on knits, purl on purls and yarnovers means? I'm a lil confused. Do I do the opposite of what the stitch appears to be or the same? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should do same as the stitch appears. If it is a knit stitch knit, if it is a purl stitch purl, you need to purl yarnover stitches too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is adorable - going to give it a try. Please clarify what is double knitting baby yarn - are you knitting with 2 strands? thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Double knitting yarn is the weight of the yarn, not knitting with two strands. You can check here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_weight

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the pattern and am going to start it tonight. I hope you will be around if I need some help.I read through the pattern and it seems very well written. Thanks for sharing it... very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cant update my blog with new threads but I check every comment :) If you need, I am around.. Enjoy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Has anyone tried making this in toddler sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Am I doing something wrong as row after 4 rows garter stitch I get row of holes. Does not show this on photo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your pattern. I am on row 41 which is the (RS) row that starts the ruffles. In the pattern picture it appears that the ruffles are predominantly knit stockinette stitch with purl stitches in between. If I continue it looks like my ruffles will be mainly purl stockinette stitches with knit stitches in between on the right side. Am I doing it correctly. Are the ruffles supposed to look mainly purl on the right side. I would appreciate any help you can give me. I am going to wait to continue working the row until I hear from you. thank you. my email address is cyurik@optonline.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I yo I am getting a hole. What am I doing wrong? Also when you have a * as in K6, yo, (K2, yo)* do you go back to K6 and do to the * or do you repeat just the (K2, yo*?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am having the same problem that Anonymous on June 2014 is having and wondering if this row should be started on the WS instead of the RS like it is saying. I am going to wait or take the two rows out that i am doing, as it does not look like it is correct, Hope to hear from you soon, as does Anonymous and the question we are baffled on is row 41 and we have SallyAnne sitting in between us so we are easy to see and answer us quickly.
    Thank you...........jrw2009@comcast.net (Anonymous #2)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous 2
    See above anonymous which is above Sally Anne and i am having the same exact problem with this pattern. Must be some kind of corrections for this. Please advise us. Also do not understand why we are leaving the 6 border stitches dangling now when it should be part of the sweater...........doesn't make sense. Please give us the corrections soon, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, sorry I couldnt answer your questions very quickly. You will start knitting ruffles on right side. The purl stitches are always 4, the knit stitch numbers will increase so that will make it ruffle.
    The first 6 st is kept on yarn holder because it is part of the body. When you cast off the ruffles, you will pick up stitches for fronts and back with that 6 stitches and you will continue knitting the body.
    I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, is there a pattern for this cardigan in 18month or size 2, I would like to make for my great grandaughter

    ReplyDelete
  24. When do you start increases in the yoke? I'm on page two and am still at 68 sts. Am I reading it wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cast on 68 stitches.
    Knit in garter stitch for 4 rows. (knit on both right and wrong sides)
    k6, yo, (k2, yo)* Repeat until you have 6 st left. We will make button hole now on this row. k2,yo,k2tog,k2 -- at this row you increase stitches for the yoke. yarn overs are increase stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Guess I read it wrong, k2 tog, yo, which kept it the same. Shouldn't do this at night. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hoping you can help me, I am on the row following "Cast off the ruffles". it says to skip 40 garter stitches for arm. Could you please explain hoe to do this row.
    Right side facing to you, pass the 6 st from stitch holder to your needle, pick up and knit 26 st from the purl stitches on the wrong side, under the ruffles. (You will have 32 st for left front, cast on 5 st for under arm, skip 40 garter stitches for arm, pick up and knit 61st for back, cast on 5 st for underarm, skip 40 garter st for arm, pick up and knit 26 st for right front. Pass 6 st from stitch holder to your left needle, we will make the third button hole. k2, yo, k2tog, k2 . How do I carry the yarn if I skip stitches? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cast off(bind off) all the ruffle stitches n cut the yarn.
    Wrong side facing to you, pass the 6 sttiches on hold to your needle and pick up stitches from garter stitches that you knitted before the ruffles. You will pick up 26 stitches, and skip the next 40 garter stitches that was knitted before the ruffles.

    I hope that makes it clear.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank You, How do I skip the 40 garter stitches and carry yarn to the next portion ( to pick up and knit 61 sts. )?
    Do I work this part in three sections/ with three ball of yarn?
    Anonymous from 8/12/14

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank You, Where I skip the next 40 garter sts., how do I carry the yarn over to pick up the 61 sts. ? Sorry I am new to making sweaters/ vests.
    Anonymous from 8/12/14 Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  31. Before you start knitting ruffles, the pattern says knit in garter stitch for 3 rows. (That is the garter stitch row that you will pick up stitches after you cast off the ruffle)

    You dont need 3 sections of yarn. When you cast off the ruffle stitches and cut the yarn, it will be like a finished project. There will be only 6 st in each front sides. Wrong side facing to you, you will pass 6 st on your needle, start picking up st for front.

    I wish I had taken photo for that row to make it clear :/

    ReplyDelete
  32. I already finished the cast off ruffle. I passed the 6 sts. from holder and picked up and knitted 26 sts. , then casted on 5 sts. I don't understand how I skip 40 stitches . What happens to my working yarn. won't it hang loose? The skipping 40 stitches and what to do will the yarn is my concern. I can't visualize it. Thanks Much!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Count 40 garter st after the last st you picked up(26th st). And pick up a stitch from 41th st. You will continue picking up st for back. You dont need to cut the yarn, just continue with the same yarn.
    There will be a hole when you skip st, this is for arm.

    Fold your piece as if it is a finished vest. I think you will get what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  34. If it is not clear, can you please send me a photo of wrong side of your work,so I can show it on the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank You, I put the 40 sts. on a stitch holder. Wsn't sure what to do with them. I think I got it. Thank you so much. Love your little sweater vest. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Can you take a photo and upload it on tinypic.com and send me the link please?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Will do! I should have it finished in few days. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I made this and love it...I used Stylecraft Wondersoft Merry Go Round available at Deramores.com and did not do the ruffle on the bottom. It took exactly 1 ball for the size I wanted which is a 2. Thanks for the pattern I will make more in future :) I will upload a pic for you :) Here is the link :)
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk167/klassyrags/Shared/20141105_132056.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have just completed this vest exactly to the pattern and it turned out perfectly just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. How would I adjust this for 0-3 months please?

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have a question when getting to the ruffle part. The pattern is written for flat knitting, though I am using a circular needle? So I rewrote for circular and am having a hard part with the ruffle part. Do I continue to knit the 6 stitches on the stitch holder on either side as I continue the round or come back to those stitches later?

    ReplyDelete
  42. When you are knitting the ruffles, you wont knit 6 stitches. After casting off the ruffles you will pick up stitches for the body and 6 stitches on hold, then you will knit them.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am making this lovely sweater, but wonder what "pr" means on the 6th row following the starting the Ruffles row. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  44. It should be p2 :) I edited it, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks for your quick reply! I have another question: on the "start ruffle row" I have worked across (yo, k1, p4)...until last 9 sts. But I ended up with 7! Assume this is my error in last inc row. Please, how many sts should I have BEFORE starting ruffle row? I dread ripping out...all rows worked out perfectly until this row.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am so sorry, I dont have any vest with me to count the stitches. But you can increase 2 st while you do the last (yo, k1, p4) using kfb or m1. Because it is the first row of the ruffles it wont shoe the mistake. You can make (yo, kfb( 1 purl st increased here), p1,m1,p1) There will be total of 4 purl stitches with increases. Now you should have 9 st left.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you for your quick response! I was wondering if increasing would do the trick. Just wonder why I am two short as all previous rows turned out, no dropped sts.
    I'll do as you recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I did as you suggested and am confident it will go smoothly from here on. Thank you so much for your quick response and willingness to help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Is Ktbl knitting 1st through the back of the loop

    ReplyDelete
  50. Dear Woolly Smile. I hoping to make this darling vest and read through all the questions and your replies! I just want to say that I smiled every time I read a reply! You certainly deserve your chosen name! I am so delighted that you so very kindly answered every single question! I can’t wait to subscribe to your blog! Thank you! Thank you! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  51. Its amazing
    Do you have pattern for 2 years old

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

© Woolly Smile, AllRightsReserved.